It is the beginning of Pride Month!
This month is dedicated to acceptance, equality, celebrating the work of LGBTQIA+ people, education in LGBTQIA+ history and raising awareness of issues affecting the LGBTQIA+ community.
Why is Pride important to us as a business?
Our people are our greatest asset, and we know that we cannot deliver our purpose, to be the best, without all of our people embodying our values. We are all unique, and celebrating our differences helps everyone feel included, builds respect and creates a sense of being one team. Our differences are what truly make us the same.
Inclusivity adds value to any business by fostering innovation, improving decision-making, increasing employee engagement, attracting top talent, and enhancing reputation and brand loyalty. Diverse thought produces diverse solutions, and inclusivity drives employee engagement, allowing our team to be their authentic selves, and not feel judged for being different.
Finally, we know that our industry can do more to support the workforce. Mental ill-health is a silent crisis within the construction industry, which can be isolating, stressful and contribute to poor mental health and well-being. Additionally, research indicates that LGBTQIA+ individuals are more likely to experience mental health disorders, which could in part be due to discrimination and challenges related to identity acceptance and affirmation. This, coupled with the challenges faced by our industry, means we should aspire to do all we can for everyone, to mitigate the risk of mental health disorders and individuals feeling isolated.
What are we doing this month?
· Sponsoring events such as Birmingham Pride with our customers, BBV, providing a rainbow-wrapped Lynch lorry for the parade.
· We've updated our logo/signatures in support of Pride Month,
· We are already proud members of Building Equality, an alliance of construction workers and institutions passionate about collaboration and harnessing our collective power to drive LGBTQIA+ inclusion in the construction, engineering, and built environment industry,
· Internally; we have shared resources to build awareness, and will continue to do so throughout the month,
· Highlighted events our employees can take part in,
· Encouraged our team members to share stories and hold informal conversations.